Personal charisma, just like technical skills, can play a large role in showing that we are the confident “expert.” This can be developed over time and with practice. Most important, however, is that we:
- Thoroughly “know our stuff” and share it with enthusiasm.
- Demonstrate a high energy level, which is infectious and makes people want to be around us.
- Exhibit a professional appearance. If we “appear” organized and well groomed, they will usually assume that our business is also organized and handled with care.
- Be well spoken. Check speech patterns, tone of voice, enthusiasm, and strength of delivery with every message. Ask a couple of close friends or associates for suggestions on how to improve.
- Accept compliments and kudos graciously. When we turn away a compliment, we are essentially saying that the person giving the compliment is mistaken and that we don’t deserve it.
- Smile with a confident demeanor and erect posture that says we are someone people can feel comfortable doing business with.
- Know good standard English. Say it. Write it.
For more extensive information, tips, exercises and strategies for marketing yourself for success, see our Products page for the newly released book, “Guide to Marketing Yourself for Success.”