Model 1: One-on-One Packages—
Shift away from the “dollars for hours” model. Instead of selling individual coaching sessions focused on identifying your client’s goal for that session, overall goal, and strategy to achieve that goal, you sell a pre-designed package that is designed to achieve a highly desirable result.
- Key #1: NO MORE SINGLE SESSIONS: Clients purchase a package that includes 6 to ++ coaching sessions. This allows them to commit to a program that will guide them all the way through to the results they’re after.
- Key #2: CHARGE UPFRONT: Packaging your coaching allows you to be paid upfront (and well) for your services. Charging upfront is recommended, although dividing your package into monthly or bi-weekly payments is another alternative. In either case, there will be no more billing individually for sessions, and definitely no billing AFTER the coaching session. Doing it that way establishes zero commitment.
- Key #3: FOCUS ON SPECIFIC OUTCOMES: The entire point of a coaching package is to provide clients with SPECIFIC results. In order to do this, you need to be focusing your coaching on a particular niche—meaning your coaching package would be designed to walk your client through a process of learning, growing, healing, or transforming based on an expertise, skill, or unique experience that YOU have to offer. We’ll get more into this in the “Packaging Your Gift” video.
Model 2: Leveraged One-on-One—
What’s being leveraged in this model is your time, meaning you’re adding value to your coaching package through additional services or products that you package in WITH your one-on-one coaching.
- Key #1: ADD-ONS: This is a great option for coaches who also have information products, online courses, groups, or other services they can offer clients
- Key #2: TEACH: Often, coaches with these additional services are coaching based on knowledge that they are using to “teach” clients, beyond simply coaching them.
- Key #3: NICHE: The more specifically your coaching package focuses on a niche (as opposed to coaching a client to achieve any random, general goal) the easier it is to create additional products and services to add value. See the “Additional Revenue Streams” video for ideas.
Model 3: Group Coaching—
The benefit of group coaching is you can reach more people in less time, as well as make more money in less time. Group coaching often includes supplemental one-on-one support, however this model offers individual clients the least amount of your direct time and attention. There are 3 different ways to approach group programs, and you can offer group packages in one or all ways:
- Group Model 1: Low-Cost Groups—Offer group programs focusing on the core content of your coaching programs that are substantially lower-priced than your one-on-one coaching services. Automate the group, with minimal interaction with you, such as group Q&A sessions. This provides an opportunity for clients to participate in your programs, who otherwise could not afford your coaching services.
- Group Model 2: Niche Topic Groups—While you may offer one-on-one coaching packages that focus on a niche (such as career transitions or losing weight), there also may be sub-topics your clients would be interesting in, which you could offer through coaching groups designed to narrow in on a very specific process or knowledge. These can be great programs to keep former clients involved (see the Client Ascension Process). This type of group would have a higher level of engagement than Model 1.
- Group Model 3: Premium Groups—Offer as much (if not more) value and results as your one-on-one coaching packages, even when coaching in a group. What makes the group “premium” is higher level access to you. Often these groups are referred to as “mastermind groups” because they also include a higher level group collaboration. Premium groups are also a great option of you have high-value expertise that you can share through teaching knowledge or a process.
Read more about why creating a life coaching package is so important for success as a coach!
Joeel & Nataile are co-founders of Transformation Academy®, where they train leading-edge entrepreneurs, leaders and life coaches how to master their mindset and create a purpose-driven business. They have started more than a dozen businesses, and trained over 500,000 coaches from 200_ countries and territories. Joeel is a former psychology professor with a Master’s Degree in Counseling and Education is currently completing his dissertation on eudaemonic happiness for a Ph.D. in Psychology.